Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Manic Street Preachers and rock and roll epiphany..


Although, I missed their concert in Singapore on April(due to my work commitment), I will be always be a long time die-hard fan for a Welsh iconic rock and roll band, Manic Street Preachers.
I first bought their sixth 2001's album "Know Your Enemy" and since than there's no argument this are the band that among my top 11 bands that I always considered very arty, rebel and against the mainstream sound alongside Radiohead, The Stone Roses, Joy Division, New Order, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Interpol, Mogwai, The Velvet Underground and Nico and Rage Against The Machine..

Well, last Saturday I went to my "favourite" place to hang out - Rock Corner at The Garden, MidValley City,KL..as I flip through the CDs rack by rack, I saw a lot of good stuffs from many legendary bands and singer like Queen, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Nirvana and the best part is I've been told by the sales assistant that since the demise of Micheal Jackson on early Friday moring, many his die-hard fans are flocking to the store to buy the MJ's rarities, singles, box-set collection and albums.

Then,I asked the shop assistant about Manic Street Preachers's new albums entitled "Journal For Plague Lovers", he showed me the copy and without further ado..I pay and listen it inside my car..

The album is actually the ninth studio album for the band and all the lyrics on the album was written by the band's former member, Richey James Edwards who mysteriously dissappear in 1995 on the eve of their USA Tour(the same case like Ian Curtis from Joy Division who hanged himself in the eve of 1980 USA Tour).

As I listen it, I realised that this are the rock and roll epiphany that the band has been "manufactured" since their first album "Generation Terrorist". However, as I flipped through the lyrics inside the album, I found out that many of the songs had brought up topics like Topics include The Grande Odalisque by Ingres, Marlon Brando, Giant Haystacks, celebrity, consumerism and dysmorphia.

And all of this topics has connection with Richey's affection with art and rock and roll. To be honest, I am fascinated with this album and for those who bought this album might hard for them to "digest" the meaning of songs that been played in this album.

With the combination sound of Sex Pistols, Guns N' Roses and The Clash, and the injection of angst-ridden voice of James Dean Bradfield, fast pace guitar plucking by Nicky Wire and drummer, Sean Moore, the album will surely hardly to be missed by their fans.

The trio's James Dean Bradfield(vox/guitar), Nicky Wire(bass/additional vox) and Sean Moore(drums/percussion) has became cult figure throughout English channel since 1986 and have cemented their place as one of the greatest rock and roll band on earth.

At the back of the album's sleeve there a quotation from an Irish playwright,George Bernard Shaw who said : -
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more useful than a life spent nothing"

Track listing

1. "Peeled Apples" (3:33)
2. "Jackie Collins Existential Question Time" (2:24)
3. "Me and Stephen Hawking" (2:46)
4. "This Joke Sport Severed" (3:04)
5. "Journal for Plague Lovers" (3:45)
6. "She Bathed Herself in a Bath of Bleach" (2:18)
7. "Facing Page: Top Left" (2:40)
8. "Marlon J.D." (2:50)
9. "Doors Closing Slowly" (2:52)
10. "All Is Vanity" (3:35)
11. "Pretension/Repulsion" (2:05)
12. "Virginia State Epileptic Colony" (3:25)
13. "William's Last Words" (4:15) / "Bag Lady" (Hidden Track) (3:05)

Cheers

No comments: